I am 1 In 10 People Who Would NEVER Recommend LegalZoom
I have to say it – LegalZoom is the biggest waste of time and money. I spoke recently with two of the customer service representatives – Carmen and Kevin Zimmerman – out of the Austin, Texas customer service center. Kevin Zimmerman is the WORST!
I chose to write a post on this to help others and deter anyone for applying for a trademark through LegalZoom. Instead, you should go to the US Patents and Trademark website and do it yourself, which would save you over 50%.
Reasons why LegalZoom is the worst:
- I received a call from the US Patents and Trademark department over the weekend that my application was filed incorrectly and should call LegalZoom and ask for a refund. I asked for a refund, citing 4 reasons, and was not granted a refund.
- They claim they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee but they DON’T
- I paid LegalZoom $510 in September to trademark “Soho Strut” after Head & Shoulders used “Strutting in SoHo”. It took 5 months to get my trademark approved through LegalZoom. I took a screenshot of the multitude of emails that were exchanged asking for my clarification.
- They make in impossible to comply with their satisfaction guarantee by taking your money at the beginning of the process and waiting to file until after the 60 day window
- Not only did it take 5 months, but the US Patent & Trademark Office told me I could have just paid $275 to file my own trademark myself and walked me through their internal system, which is easier to understand than LegalZoom.
- They don’t save time or money
- The website says “a registered trademark will help expand the protection of your brand nationwide.” I discovered that I should have also filed another class, and the class I filed didn’t include the necessary details to protect my brand.
- LegalZoom does not protect your brand.
Feel free to talk to Kevin directly and see how unhelpful and unprofessional he is at (866) 679-2106 X7731.